Shared from the 2/10/2017 Houston Chronicle eEdition

2017 Good Brick Awards will honor restorations

Preservationists laud work to find new life for older structures

Picture
Houston Chronicle

Anne Whitlock & Michael Skelly will be honored for their work on Fire Station No. 2, built in 1910, in the East End.

Preservation Houston has announced its 2017 Good Brick Award winners, given to people and organizations who restore older homes and buildings, often finding new life for a structure that had been used for something dramatically different.

In addition to 10 awards given, Preservation Houston will also honor Gerald D. Hines with its President’s Award. Hines, a businessman and philanthropist, is the founder and chairman of Hines, an international real estate company headquartered in Houston.

Its Martha Peterson Award will go to the Buffalo Bayou Partnership for the rehabilitation and adaptive re-use of the Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern. The 1926 city reservoir has become one of Houston’s newest must-see spaces.

Recipients will be honored at the nonprofit’s annual Cornerstone Dinner on March 3 at River Oaks Country Club.

The Good Brick winners include two historic fire stations, a Fifth Ward theater, a high school and seven private homes.

They are:

» Anne Whitlock and Michael Skelly for the rehabilitation and adaptive re-use of Fire Station No. 2 (1910) in the East End.

» David Denenburg for the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of Fire Station No. 3 (1903) in the First Ward.

» Rita and Bal Sareen for the rehabilitation of the Gov. William P. Hobby House (1929) in Old Braeswood.

» Laura and Evan Michaelides for the rehabilitation of the Dentler Building (1923) in the High First Ward Historic District.

» Antonio Herrada and Peter Boyle for the rehabilitation of their Victorian home (1905) in the High First Ward Historic District.

» Lin Chong and Dominic Yap for the rehabilitation of their historic home (1908) in Woodland Heights.

» Luis Roger, Ignacio Torras and Fivis Kazilas for the adaptive re-use of a historic house (1920) as BCN Taste & Tradition restaurant in Montrose.

» FW Heritage LLC for the renovation and sympathetic addition to a historic house (c. 1910) on the Near Northside.

» City of Houston and Fifth Ward Community Redevelopment Corp. for the rehabilitation of the DeLuxe Theater (1941) in the Fifth Ward.

» Deer Park Independent School District for the renovation of Wolters High School (1930) in Deer Park. diane.cowen@chron.com twitter.com/dianecowen

See this article in the e-Edition Here